RE: ACAD NURBS > RHINO and Gen'lly More Robust 3D CAD

From: Jonathan Chertok (chertok22@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 18:00:21 EEST

Makai,

Thanks for the response.

I am spending a little time trying to get my chops down into NURBS and
Splines and had thought to do this through ACAD as I use it a lot. If I know
what it won't do, then I can make some decisions about what to move into
next. Yesterday I discovered that ACAD will not allow you to control Skew
(left and right) or to control Continuity with Nurbs and Splines - which is
good to know.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for answers:

1. Are NURBS 3D objects and SPLINES 2d? Or can someone straighten out the
terminology for me. Seems like ACAD has a SPLINETYPE variable that controls
a type of SPLINE - either quadratic (5) or cubic (6) - does anyone know if
the "5" and "6" variables have any relation to anything (!) as they would
not seem to relate to the curves' order or polynomial degree.

1A. There is a TOLERANCE for how close to a through point the curve will
sit and there is also a WEIGHT for the individual points. I couldn't figure
out how a tolerance would interact with a weight.

2. Is "Bezier Curve" interchangeable with "B-Spline". If so, how many types
of B-Splines are there (Cubic, Quadratic...)? If not, can you do a Bezier
Curve in ACAD and how?

2A. There is an EDGESURF command in ACAD for 3DMESH which is set to either
Quadratic B-Spline Surface (5), Cubic B-Spline Surface (6) or Bezier Surface
(8). Why can I get a Specific Setting for Bezier Surface with 3DMesh and not
with a SPLINE Command?

3. It would seem that ACAD can - ACIS, SAT, STL, DXF, 3DS - OUT. Is there
information in 2D or 3D NURBS or SPLINES that I need to use a certain format
for? If so, can someone explain to me what that information is and which
file formats would support it...I have essentially 2D ship's curves in the
computer and would like to take a stab at "fairing" them.

Thanks very much,

Jonathan

P.S. Is it your experience that BIM and Parametric Modelling are useful for
a Hybrid Architectural/RP approach to project information? Laserein says
that one of the drawback to REVIT (in a positively euphoric review of the
product) is that it cannot currently do sloping walls or floors...well. I
guess my worry is that the new products will be like some publishing giants
version of a high school textbook.

I think I am hoping to work back from CATIA with the architectural ACAD
question. I know CATIA can do what I am looking to do, and was wondering how
close I could get to it with limited expenditure. Anybody using Mechanical
Desktop for architectural uses...

Universal Joint Design Build
Full Service Design and Construction

Jonathan Chertok. Principal