RE: Revit

From: Jonathan Chertok (chertok22@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 23:17:10 EEST

Charles, Makai and List,

I have just finished a summary of a project that I have been working on and
would like to prod this discussion with the following:

My experience with the architectural field is that you will find a spectrum
of different attitudes towards the profession at a variety of firms.
However, I believe it is possible to break firms roughly into "design" and
"production". While this is a very general description, it is instructive in
my opinion and in many cases - especially with large projects - one will
find that a "design firm" has almost completely turned the project over to a
local firm that takes control of Contract Documents ("production") as well
as overseeing construction (Construction Administration).

"Building Management" (a natural follow-on to Construction Administration)
would be of interest to these "production" firms, who are often rather
corporate entities that are very focused on a kind of assembly line process
with the attendant concerns (a generality with lots of give and take at
these firms).

"Design" firms would be more interested in the process of creating the
project, how this process affects the creation and perception of a project
and who - in many cases - will have an element of research built into each
and every project.

*******************************

Architectural Models and Architectural Software are a portion of this
"design" or "production" process. On the one hand architectural models could
be used in order to consider various abstract aspects (substitute any
"architectural concern here) of the project, while on the other hand one
could make a presentation model that will sit in a sales office to
facilitate condo or office space sales.

In my opinion it is a mistake to expect RP to serve to recreate in full a
presentation model. When I worked at Renzo Piano's architectural office in
Paris, we used a process called "coupe chemique" wherein one made an opaque
rendering in Autocad that was sent to essentially a metal screenprinting
shop that would etch the void in this rendering out of a thin piece of
metal. This final product was then bent etc and attached to a presentation
model, or competition model made out of a variety of other material. It was
a process used to represent a very specific aspect of the building and
really contributed to the impact of the model. I see RP serving a similar
process - taking into consideration the materiality - or immateriality - of
the RP process one is utilizing.

The other immediate aspect of RP in architecture would be with respect to
individual parts that make up a building. In some cases architects (or
sub-contractors) will design custom connection pieces for a project. In most
cases these are sketched and manufactured in a shop using traditional
techniques. In some cases they are drawn in 3D by a designer and then made
in a traditional shop. Eventually these pieces would be cast out of metal
via relatively traditional manufacturing methods (lost wax etc). I think
there is a lot of room for RP to enter the profession in this area with
respect to the design, distribution and creation of these custom pieces.

I think the production of an RP model should be considered as a separate
architectural activity to producing the information necessary to actually
build a project.

**********************

Finally, from a conceptual standpoint I could state that architecture has
traditionally gained it's "meaning" in reference to ideas from other
disciplines. Of late there may be a move to allow architecture to gain
meaning from things specifically architectural - like geometry. In this vein
of thinking one could return to Gaspar Monge's invention of Descriptive
Geometry and say that this was a tool that was leveraged by the engineers
who eventually used it to create dams, boats, airplanes and the like.

Then in the 1910's and 1920's architects - who were blown away by these new
shapes - began to imitate these shapes without having any real grounding in
the geometry used to create these shapes.

Currently architecture is undergoing a transformation similar to that
allowed by descriptive geometry. This is assisted by the computer and could
be assisted by various RP processes. Any parametric, topological, analytical
and other feedback from Architectural Software would simply help in
accomodating a more general change in architectural concerns. Most
interesting to me is the ability to control a project's 3D geometry through
the computer and to then pass this information along to vendors, who may be
able to use this Digital File to manufacture portions of the building.

There is an approach to arhcitecture that thinks that building materials are
just so much swiss cheese and it is just a question of poking holes in the
cheese in the right places. Architecture has to be much more deliberately
and finely layered than this, and as a consequence RP's contact with
Architecture should be similarly nuanced.

I suppose one could take another approach and extrude architecture like
pasta, or structural steel, but I think such an approach must be considered
as specifically not architectural.

Hope that was of interest to a couple of folks,

Jonathan Chertok

Universal Joint
Full Service Design and Construction

Jonathan Chertok. Principal