RE: Digital scanning

From: Denis Cormier (cormier@eos.ncsu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 23:49:16 EEST

Michael,

We bought a Roland LPX-250 scanner a few months ago, and I'm generally happy
with it thus far. On the plus side, it is extremely simple to use. While the
scanning process is trivial, the process of turning point clouds into CAD
models takes a little more practice. We use Raindrop Geomagic to turn the
point cloud data into an editable CAD model, but the software that comes
with the scanner looks decent enough. On the down side, the accuracy specs
aren't particularly good. This isn't a $30,000+ scanner though, so it isn't
fair to compare it the high-end scanners. It works just fine for our
purposes.

As far as limitations are concerned, the object to be scanned should not be
highly reflective or translucent. If you want to scan in a metal object,
you'll need to coat it with a thin layer of powder or paint first. We've
also got a Microscribe that can be manipulated to access some features that
might not be visible to the laser beam. In practice however, we've found
that the laser scanner is much easier to use.

Regards,

Denis

Denis R. Cormier, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7906
Ph: (919) 515 - 1549
Fax: (919) 515 - 1543