Re: Anyone know of rp on Mac platform ?

From: Markus Hitter (mah@jump-ing.de)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 09:24:12 EEST

Am Sonntag, 11.05.03 um 21:18 Uhr schrieb Johnny Lau:

> I wonder if anybody know if there's any system working in Macintosh
> platform?

Don't know what you mean by "System working on the Mac". Usually, all
those RP machines have a custom set up Computer ("Controller") to
advise the machine how to work. And yes, all of the ones I've seen so
far use some variant of a Microsoft OS.

To do data preparation (build supports, repair STL's etc.) I've used
software on SGI's IRIX with great success. Most software is Windows
based, however.

If you want to do modelling, a Mac should work fine. CAD Applications
on the Mac output the same data formats as their Windows counterparts,
including STL. There are few open sourced Applications (admesh, Nendo
come to mind) which work well, too. Mac OS X' UNIX base is very helpful
here.

Hope that helps a little,
Markus Hitter

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter