Re: The RPML should be fixed and not abandoned.

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 01:51:42 EEST

On Tue, 13 May 2003 EdGrenda@aol.com wrote:
> Are you aware that one of the most important functions of the RPML is
> archiving? When people search for specific topics related to RP on search
> engines, they will often be guided to past postings from the RPML. This is a
> service that’s been provided by Hannu and HUT. It’s a major resource to
> guide people into this field. Will this continue?
>
> Also, I have to say it is simply discourteous to abandon ship without a
> discussion - and before a comment or a response from Hannu. There should be
> at least a modicum of loyalty and appreciation based on recognition that this
> list doesn’t happen without effort. It seems automatic, but someone has been
> quietly working in the background for many years now to keep this going. Do
> we recognize that?

Have to agree; I'll watch the new list, but I'm surprised at how many
unsubscribes we're seeing before our existing moderator gets a chance
to comment. It would be better, if possible, to have a list without a
commercial affiliation.

On the other hand, it's also not clear to me why things have been
allowed to get this bad. It's normally easy and routine to set up a
list so non-subscribers can't post to it.

Hannu, where art thou?

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                 phone (831)429-8224, fax (831)460-1242
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com