RE: Laminated object manufacturing with static charged clay

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 15:15:58 EEST

Brock,

I was also seeing the broader application of the technology (beyond the
micro devices). What was not explained in the article was the method used to
produce a selective static charge to control the deposition. Photo or laser
or irradiation I would imagine. If the research is limited to clay layering
within a plastic matrix then they don't see the potential.

If you look at the technology from the point of view of the RP-ML, the
potential for an RP machine/process that builds parts by selectively
placing/ordering materials at the nano scale could be used to fabricate much
larger components and even assemblies.

Imagine an RP machine that makes parts at greater than .00001" resolution.
But why stop there, any material that you can deposit can be used for
fabrication. You could create laminate structures where there is a chemical
reaction between the layers of materials to form new compounds. The
complexity if the matrix would be limited only to the number of materials
that can be deposited by the process. (A rather large number I would think.)

There is also no reason why you couldn't use metals and produce parts for
sintering that have engineered mechanical properties. Alloys that cannot be
produced in a molten state (micro gravity fabrication may never happen)
could be created easily. Yeah, I know that you can get blended powdered
metal parts already, but imagine varying the blend ratio/material to suit
the shape/requirements.

You could build 3 dimensional lattice structures that contain interwoven
strands/meshes/grids within another material. It would vastly improve the
creation of multi-function components, where the mechanical properties vary
within a single item.

Gotta stop dreaming and get back to work.

Sincerely,

Larry Blasch