Re: rapid tooling for magnesium part

From: geir@iti.is
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 20:21:39 EEST

Dear Frédéric Gillot,

I can send you a presentation I made from last year
EuroMold at RAPTIA seminar, about the possibilities
one have to make prototypes in magnesium.
(It is 3.2 Mbyte in PowerPoint format.)

Most common way to produce a single magnesium
prototype, is to use investment casting from another RP part.
Several RP service-bureaus in Europe offer investment
casting of magnesium parts from prototypes.

If you want to make a prototype using magnesium
high-pressure die casting, you have to make a die using
conventional methods, or you can use SLS sintering with 20 micron
steel powder. I suggest you contact dr. Richard Hague
(r.hague@lboro.ac.uk) at Loughborough University for
more practical info on rapid tooling for magnesium
high-pressure die casting.

Check AGIL cast AG of Switzerland (www.agilcast.ch).
They produce equipment for vacuum investment casting
of magnesium, which have similar material properties as one
made with HPDC.

I am also told that Z-Corp (www.zcorp.com) can produce
pouring mould for magnesium directly using 3D printing
and a new technique called Z-Cast. We have not tried it
yet, so we have no experience with it.

Best regards,
Geir

====================================
Mr. Geir Gudmundsson
Project Manager - Production and Automation
Materials and Environmental Department
IceTec (Technological Inst. of Iceland)
Keldnaholti
112 Reykjavík
Iceland
Tel: (+354) 570 7100; Direct: (+354) 570 7192
Mobile: (+354) 899 1832; Fax: (+354) 570 7111

|---------+------------------------------->
| | Frédéric Gillot |
| | <gillot@bretagne.ens|
| | -cachan.fr> |