RE: Low Cost Reverse Engineering

From: Craig Dechtenberg (craig@3doutput.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 21:17:35 EEST

In choosing a reverse engineering solution, you will want to consider
the nature of the majority of the parts you will be reverse engineering
(particularly size and complexity), the accuracy you will require (for
most r/e applications it's not too strict), and what you will ultimately
wish to do with the data. For instance, if the parts you will be
reverse engineering are primarily defined by prismatic geometry (planes,
lines, circles, cylinders, etc.) or fairly continuous surfaces, then a
touch probe scanner will work well - such as a FaroArm (industrial
strength, high accuracy) or a Microscribe (for smaller parts, less
accurate). Using these types of devices also gives you the very
convenient ability to create native CAD geometry directly into CAD
software like SolidWorks or Rhino, using add-ons such as RevWorks or the
newly popular Scan2000 (www.scan2000.net).

If, on the other hand, most of your parts have higher complexity and
detail, then a touch probe digitizer could be tedious, and a laser
scanner may be more efficient. Laser Design, Inc. (www.laserdesign.com)
has been making laser scanners for inspection and reverse engineering
for 15 years, and their portable scanners (PS series) are very accurate,
small and light weight, reasonably priced, and can do very small or very
large parts. Using a scanner, of course, yields a point cloud which you
will typically need to transform into some other format to be useful.
Geomagic Studio is great at making STL or surface models from the point
data, or (as mentioned previously) Rhino can import the point data
directly. However, you will still probably want to get at least the
Geomagic Capture module, which is used to collect, filter, edit, and
combine scanned data before sending it elsewhere.

These are just some general guidelines ... hope that's helpful.

Best,
Craig Dechtenberg
3D Output, Inc.
www.3doutput.com