RE: 3D Topographical File

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 00:12:23 EEST

David,

Basically, no problem.
The data is out there courtesy of your gov tax dollars in a variety of
forms. There are a large varitey of value added and not so value added
resellers of the US Geological Survey data. www.usgs.gov

The Geographical Information systems, GIS, world definately has their own
terminology and data formats so getting the data from usgs.gov to stl is not
completely trivial. Most good GIS applications will give a surface mesh
that can be forced into an stl or CNC format with a little thumping. The
new ZCORP software supports the creation of GIS models more directly so that
is a good route.

LGM would be happy to help you out as we make this kind of model all the
time. (well, OK not the metal part...but that would be fun to see.) If you
want to go it alone, give me a call 800 448 8808 and pick my brain. If
you did not want to get into the GIS stuff, we can do a quote on the file
prep for you and send you a buildable .stl to your specs. You could take it
from there with your technologies.

Best Wishes

Charles Overy
LGM