LOM film cable problem

From: Polydoras Stamatios (polsntua@mail.ntua.gr)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 12:12:25 EEST

Dear List Members,

I want to thank you all for your responses regarding my request.

I consider it to be my obligation to share with you and especially the
remaining LOM1015 users the following facts, without any comments at all
and meaning absolutely no offense to anybody:

1) The failure is just a cable cut! It only needs a new cable installed
somehow even with the use of interconnectors!
2) Of course our first action was to contact both SIBCO and Cubic
Technologies since we have effectively worked with both in the past.
(Cubic Technologies as Helisys) Outcomes:
             a) SIBCO offer: Full plotter purchasing cost 935 $, just to
get hold of the spare part with the cable that we need.
             b) Cubic Technologies Offer: 20.000 $ !!!!, for an upgrade
of our system to a 1015Plus with upgraded plotter! The only option offered!
3) A lot of concern and advice came in from you RP-ML members. Thanks again

In conclusion, we have also thought of:
    - Modifying our system ourselves turning it to an optical or IR
system. Requiring time and effort.
    - Trying to find a source for 4-pin film cable and hiring an
electronics technician to replace it on the system.

This process has not been yet completed. I hope that we will decide to
go along with the most technically correct solution (also in terms of
"value for money"). In the meantime we will be contacting privately some
of you colleagues that we think can help us.

Thanks again.

Stamatis

Stamatios N. Polydoras
Mechanical Engineer
RP Laboratory
National Technical University of Athens (NTUA)
Tel: +30 210 7723631
Fax: +30 210 7723599