RP Error Viewing and Modelling Software

From: Jonathan Chertok (chertok22@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 19:24:22 EEST

List,

I had been using an extended demo version of Materialise Magics and I am
afraid I have been really spoiled.

I've recently started using Rhino and have some familiarity with Form Z.
Neither seem to offer a particularly visual way to view the "validity" of an
stl file.

I also have a demo version of STLViewer that [seems] to allow me to see
models in a way similar to some jpg's I have seen from Solidview etc.

1. Can anyone recommend a real solid STL Viewer that would allow me to see a
file similar to RP Vendors? Deskartes Viewer?

2. What commands or queries do Vendors run in order to see if a file will
shoot through their machine? And is there some "play" in this deliberation?

3. Can anyone out there who uses Rhino share their experience with "fixing"
stl's for RP - and/or - explain which queries they use to decide if the stl
file is valid.

4. Anyone find Form Z (or other) software more convenient than Rhino for
either BOOLEAN OPERATIONS or stl fixing?

5. I've got some nasty little shapes that seem to come up in STLViewer as
radially alternating multi-colors, which I assume means they have their
normals alternating in a radiul pattern as well. Is viewing the validity of
an stl file in a viewer as simple as checking to see if there are aberrantly
colored surfaces?

Many Thanks,

Jonathan

Universal Joint
Full Service Design and Construction

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
Austin Texas [512] 407 9628

Buildings + Digital Manufacturing

Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra Storage