Idea for research project to solve shipping nightmare

From: Osbornmail@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 17:53:19 EEST

Kenny / Phill et al

Further to the previous thread on Shipping of parts, etc. and having just
received an undamaged, apparently well-packaged box of 2 urgent parts (one of
which was in 6 pieces, the other in 7 pieces...) I have a suggestion for a future
research project....

How about sorting out a definitive packaging solution for waxes / delicate
layer built parts which more often than not end up broken or damaged (usually
only on critical projects!)

Having witnessed over 10 years of trial and error (as both supplier /
customer) using various combinations of: boxes within boxes, eps peanuts, bubble
wrap, sealed air pockets, inflatable bags, cotton wool, shredded paper, silicone
rubber, ceramic etc. there is still no comprehensive solution for this as far
as I am aware.

Geometry and material are the key variables, and I am sure that list members
could provide some suitable test geometries. (Wax turbine wheels for
automotive diesel turbos for starters).

Potential end result could be a packaging solution for delicate parts
available at a premium. If this could effectively guarantee the safe arrival of your
parts, then it would be worth the extra ($10? $50? $100?) per shipment.

Am I crazy or would this be best solved by a research project approach?

I am tortured by visions of boxes suspended by springs on all sides that
couriers could play soccer with and still not break the part(s) held safely
within....

Any comments / ideas welcome.

Nick

Nick Osborn