Re: metallic polymers [no disclaimers]

From: EdGrenda@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 23:22:36 EEST

In a message dated 03-10-16 15:20:22 EDT, smith@vsba.com writes:

<< Hmm *wrinkles brow* the exploitation of electromagnetic effects?
 Transduction, vibratory, thermal? The accumulation of small effects.
 Bubblejets versus piezography? Fluid propulsion, hydraulic.
 Maybe even direct electroactive motion? Muscles.

 My customers won't want to fab their own robot at home...
 unless it can walk around to fetch them a beer ;)

 Is there research using metallic polymers for motors or some such
conventional propulsion? I can imagine a weight savings and there must be some other
material property benefits to exploit.

Makai:

Take a look at the latest Scientific American Magazine.

There's a cover article about SRI's work in developing polymer-based
actuators to replace muscle function and for similar applications. High forces and
pretty good time constants - and while there are some conductive requirements
for electrodes and such (therein lie the tricks), the stuff uses el cheapo
off-the-shelf plastics.

No RP required. You might also consider that it would be an interesting way
to build active sculptural objects - just to pique your interest.

Probably also available on the web at www.sciam.com.

Ed

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.
EdGrenda@aol.com (email)

The Worldwide Guide to Rapid Prototyping
http://home.att.net/~castleisland/