Re: STL software

From: Patwa jeevan (patwa_jeevan@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 07:45:26 EEST

Hi Ian,

I developed STLViewer which allows to rotate/pan/zoom binary/ascii STL files. Also to change the forecolor and backcolor. Also it gives the model size x,y,z and allow to take a cut section along any axis.

I developed ActiveX control also which can be embedded into PowerPoint slide show so that to make the 3D presentation. It allows binary/ascii STL files. It allows changing forecolor and backcolor and allow manipulations rotate/pan/zoom.

I developed STLCompress software which compresses both Binary/Ascii STL combined with 7-zip software to the ratio of 10-20 for binary STL and 50-100 for Ascii STL.

If you or anybody interested can contact me off list.

Regards,

Jeevan.

Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

Am Freitag, 17.10.03 um 05:41 Uhr schrieb Ian Gibson:

> I was wondering whether there are any open-source programs for
> manipulating stl files that any of you know about?

There was some software called "admesh" some years ago. A UNIX
command-line tool written in C.

It's features were shell counting, automatic triangle repair, volume
calculation, data conversion and basic geometric transformations. Well
written, fast and reliable.

I used it together with 3D's old support and slice generation software
(UNIX tools as well) to generate build files without even viewing the
geometry. It worked well enough to give reliable quotes.

Then, there are a few lines of code on my platter to calculate slices
from STL files. Written in C and Objective-C (Apple's Cocoa). Using a
basic geometry text book, this was done in some two hours.

> Ideally what I'm looking for is code that will allow me to manipulate
> stl files, add supports and prepare them for slicing, basically as an
> alternative to the 3DS OS. Slice output can be in any format.

One possible start whould be to pick up an simple Open Source 3D
Viewer, add some code to read STL files and start from there. This is
what I've done several month ago but currently, I fail to see where
continueing the project might be useful.

Regards,
Markus Hitter