Virtual endoscopy?

From: Randy Howard (rhoward@aaahawk.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 10:03:09 EET

Hello list,

I have just recently learned of a "new" technology that allows viewing of CT scan data three-dimensionally. It is called "virtual endoscopy" and I suspect that many of you may already know this to be not-so-new, but it is new to me. It is my understanding that use of this technology/software allows 3D visualization of CT scan data in a real-time or near real-time setting. Harvard University as well as several other institutions seem to be exploring application of this innovation.

My question is this: Aside from the obvious medical advantage of being able to immediately "see" a 3D image of a trachea, colon, etc., is the data acquired from such a manipulated scan any more useful for the creation of a solid model using traditional engineering software, and, or, can it yield better, faster, more accurate data for creation of SL models?

Opinions and direction to additional information on the subject is welcomed.

Randy Howard
Mechanical Designer