Re: please help rapid prototyping

From: Jonathan Chertok (chertok22@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 19:10:01 EET

Grant,

My relatively limited experience has been that Rhino can be a little tricky,
especially if you are used to solids modelling. The Rhino Newsgroup is a
great source, however, and I would encourage you to post files for specific
problems. If you don't want to post, I believe their tech people would be
willing to review a file sent specifically to them.

You can use surfaces from Rhino in RP. They "must" be closed volumes.

For this you will generally want use the "join" command. Also, there is a
"check bad objects" command that you may want to use. You will be amazed at
how many "bad object" Rhino can generate. Though I never figured out what
exactly a "bad object" is, I believe it will give you trouble when trying to
export to stl (if you are going to stl).

That said, Rhino is also somewhat loose in exporting stl files from what I
understand. One way to check this would be to bring the file into Form Zed
which is very strict about exporting stl file. If it don't go out in Zed,
but does go out as stl in Rhino you will *probably* have a downstream
problem.

Listers with more experience on this end have told me that they can freak
out clients who want to know why their file will not import into RP by
asking, "you used rhino, didn't you?" It is this looseness with respect to
RP in Rhino that is at issue. My understanding is that rhino wishes to
improve this and their mesh commands in general.

Best advice I got is in the Rhino List Archives somewhere. I was told to
create a mesh in Rhino (in the NURBS based 3ds file), prior to exporting, so
that you could see the mesh before shooting it out.

The issues with the NURBS to mesh command itself is also on the Archives and
it is way too involved to get into here.

Rhino Booleans are a bitch. I expect you should not have problems with
offsetting in Rhino as long as it is relatively straightforward. If you have
something very complicated, try and find a friend with Materialise Magics
who will do it for you and send it back. Magics is magic.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you want to get more detail.

- Jonathan

P.S. Rhino surfaces are a lot like ACAD 2D drawings it I reflect on it a
bit.
Rhino is trim and stitch. ACAD is trim and extend...

Universal Joint: Buildings + Digital Design

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
Austin, Texas [512] 407 9628

Full Service Design and Construction

Universal Joint: Buildings + Digital Design

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
Austin, Texas [512] 407 9628

Full Service Design and Construction

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize