Re: Custom made computer case

From: Greg Pettengill (gpetteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 01:53:25 EET

Marshall Burns wrote:

> Hello RP-ers,
>
> An associate is interested in manufacturing computers cases in
> one-off quantities for special customers. I'd like to ask if anyone
> has any thoughts or suggestions to share on the subject.

Marshall,

I too have an associate that I am investigating approximately the same
thing for. Although he is more interested in manufacturing specialty
cases in small quantities, rather than one-of-a-kind pieces.

> -- What technique would you use for such a project? Sheet
> metal? Vacuum forming on an RP master? Something else?

Apparently one of the more successful efforts in this line has been
cases in wood! All acrylic cases are also quite popular. At this point
I do not see where vacuum formed parts would be cost-effective. Usually
plastic parts for computer cases are injection molded and have design
requirements that vacuum formed parts don't work well for.

> -- What would you expect the cost per case to be, assuming a
> normal desktop size?

To effectively answer this question I would have to know a lot more
about what specifically is desired.

> -- How crazy is this idea?

If you mean to ask if I believe that this is economically viable, I
would have to say that I have serious doubts...

--
Best Regards
Greg Pettengill