RE: Details required about Envision Perfactory

From: John Kerr <johnnkerrr_at_yahoo.com.sg>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 14:46:38 EET

Dear 3D Systems Guys,

Take this challenge please. He is talking without knowing what Viper can do ? He forgets bangles, pendents, are also part of jewellery. Now I ask for live benchmarking to prove these figures.

Martin, your facts will be replied with results after our trials. Note we are talking of ring height of 30mm or more.

Johnn.

Martin Forth <mforth@envisiontec.co.uk> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
John

Thank you for your reply maybe I can put in my “two cents” with regard to build speeds etc

In Europe and Asia we have sold many systems into the Jewelry industry and have perhaps a little bit more experience in Ring manufacture than my USA colleagues.

We build between 8-12 rings (actual no. depends on width of rings) on the Mini system, depending upon layer thickness this takes anything between 3 hours and 4.5 Hours (50 and 25 micron respectively)

As a former Director of 3D Systems Europe I can vouch for the Viper performance personally, the Viper can build approx 60 rings on one platform in approx 30 hours

Given that we build an average of 10 rings in 3.5 hours we can achieve a throughput of approx. 85 rings in the same period that the Viper takes to build 60.

The Viper only has a “sweet spot” for high resolution build styles in a 100mm square area in the centre of the vat. The beam loses resolution when the angle and length of beam is increased outside of this area (basically the spot gets bigger).

This means the Viper can only build outside of the area in 50 micron layers and the spot size in nearer 0.1 mm so if you are building 60 rings the resolution of the rings becomes nearer 50x100 micron (25micron layers only available in “sweet spot”) compared to 20x32micron on the Perfactory on full build envelope.

As my colleague already mentioned coupled with ongoing laser costs ($40K) and maintenance costs ($15K) the Perfactory offers significant cost performance ratio advantage over Viper.

Hope this helps clarify some points for you

Martin Forth

Vice President European & Asia Sales

Envisiontec GmbH

Litton House