[rp-ml] A QUERY ON STL FILE FORMAT

From: Ahmed Issa <ahmeddcu_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 07:33:21 EEST

Hi All,

I am developing a laser marking system, which is supposed to produce 3D images inside a cubic bulk of glass. I am sure that some of you have seen this kind of souvenirs in the market. The images will be developed in AutoCAD or any CAD software, then exported as STL file. I am going to develop a code to handle the STL file and convert it into (X, Y, Z) points that resemble the 3D shape. The laser beam will be focused within the work piece at the specific coordinates, thus allowing it to internally vaporize a spot of the material leaving a hollow spherical spot (VOXEL in the order of micons) in a phenomenon known as micro-fabrication or internal marking. The voxels are not connected, however so close so that they form a 3D image. As I understand, this process falls under Steriolithography (please correct me if mistaken in categorizing the process).

The problem I am facing with STL file format that it randomly sorts the facets. I can have control over some parameters such as the resolution of facets but some shapes are not properly tessellated (i.e. big triangles such as the case of cubic shapes).

My question is: does any one know good reference books or websites on this technique, specifically on how to manipulate STL files. Also on sorting the points in space so as to optimize the travel distance of the XYZ positioning bed?

Any hints or useful information will be highly appreciated, thanks.

Ahmed Issa.