Re: [rp-ml] $75 million for rapid prototyping

From: <EdGrenda_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 22:12:54 EEST

In a message dated 04-06-18 13:24:22 EDT, tw@wohlersassociates.com writes:

<< Hello everyone,

 Has anyone seen the following? Anyone know what "$75 million for rapid
prototyping" really means?

 Best regards,

 Terry

 ************
 Terry Wohlers
 Wohlers Associates, Inc.
 OakRidge Business Park
 1511 River Oak Drive
 Fort Collins, Colorado 80525 USA
 970-225-0086
 Fax 970-225-2027
 tw@wohlersassociates.com
 http://wohlersassociates.com

 HOMELAND Security spending bill headed to Senate floor
 GovExec.com - USA
 ... infrastructures, $67 million for cyber-security activities, $141 million
 for national security telecommunications, $75 million for rapid prototyping
 and $11 ...
 http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0604/061704tdpm2.htm

Hi Terry:

I've seen some news releases like this in the past month or two. What they
usually refer to after tracking down is not the kind of RP, we all know and
love as additive fabrication - but the RP that is done at a digital systems
level.

Unfortunately, the term RP is used for a number of disparate technologies
ranging from micro-fluidics to cockpit control - none of which have anything to
do with additive fabrication. There are even conferences on RPing of digital
systems. While I don't feel that the researchers who usurp this terminology
should have their arms ripped off and be beaten to death with the stumps, I don't
feel they should be entirely ignored, either. Perhaps a happy balance in
between these extremes can be achieved.

It would certainly make my life simpler.

Ed

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.
EdGrenda@aol.com (email)

The Worldwide Guide to Rapid Prototyping
http://home.att.net/~castleisland/