Re: [rp-ml] STL analysis for a website

From: Markus Hitter <mah_at_jump-ing.de>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 01:24:17 EEST

Am 26.10.2004 um 19:19 schrieb Info:

> I am looking for an Auto quote engine that I can have a client upload
> an STL file to my website and the program will extract some
> information like bounding box, the volume and the surface area so that
> the program can then produce a quote.

Well, I did such a thing a few years ago, using the "admesh" tool and
the old 3D Systems software running on UNIX. The steps were to position
the part in the right quadrant, calculate supports and other stuff up
to a complete build file. This build file could be analyzed then to get
a build time with +5 % / -20 % accuracy. All Stereolithography on a SLA
250. This process could take more than an hour for a reasonable complex
part.

Sounds like you estimation is somewhat simpler and you need the admesh
tool, only. If you can't google it, drop me a line.

Regards,
Markus Hitter

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/