RE: [rp-ml] FW: Geometric Accuracy of RP parts

From: Marshall Burns <MB-ListMail2_at_Ennex.com>
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 18:07:46 EET

I agree that Bob has asked an interesting question. I wouldn't hold out
for answers from the vendors. Their R&D staffs are largely focused
"inside-the-box." (Isn't that amazing for technology of this ilk!)
Innovation of this sort is more likely to come from university research
or even a smart NASA intern. The problem isn't getting reflection of the
laser beam. If you can see it, it's scattering, and yes, that means
there's data available to be collected. The problem is interpretation of
the information and coordination with the build process. Nice, meaty
problem for a PhD thesis.

What I find interesting about Bob's question is the idea of letting the
laser in a laser-based process serve double duty as the inspection
laser. Cool!

By the way, Jim, I presume that when you talk about "lasers" in space,
what you really mean is focused sunlight. It's easier to transport and
maintain the equipment for that, right?

MB