SV: [rp-ml] SensAble FreeForm Concept System?

From: Holmer Berndt (berndt.holmer@ivf.se)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 14:20:51 EET

Glenn,

Two years ago we did a small evaluation of FreeForm as a service to companies with which we are cooperating. What has improved since then I don't know so take this FWIW.

As a complement to CAD systems, not a replacement, it seems to have strong potential for areas where complex shape is important while exact dimensioning is not. Though the voxel based system is fast, the voxels are all the same size and spherical in shape. This means that to get high resolution in a certain area you have to have the same high resolution everywhere which slows the system down, and you can forget sharp edges. The haptic system is a very nice tool and the system is easy to master. What we found lacking in particular were the export functions to CAD which were inefficient and the import functions which caused loss of information.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />I'm sure there are strong niches for this tool. For most engineering design however, there seemed then to remain a lot of work to make the system really useful.

Hope someone has more recent and complete information to share, I'm also most interested.

Berndt

Berndt Holmer
IVF Industrial Research and Development Corporation
Brinellvagen 68
SE-100 44 Stockholm
Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)8-21 31 74