RE: [rp-ml] Prototyping: Conductive Rubber Switchpads on the west coast?

From: Carl Dekker (dekker@met-l-flo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 16:55:30 EET

Alex,

This can be done in a few ways.

As you may already know, they can be installed in the prototype after
the build is completed. The problem with this is the material options
are limited.

Another way would be to make a cast tool (Silicone, Urethane, etc) then
place the pieces in their respective location and fill the cavity. This
can yield a nice part in respect to material and finish. Drawbacks are
that a pattern must be created, finished, and a tool made resulting in
more time and cost. Additionally, should the pieces move in the casting
process the parts is lost and removing the pads could damage them.

And another is to make a tool off of the CAD data where the pads can be
inserted and a casting done to encapsulate them. The tools are hard to
finish but the lead time is shorter and the total investment may be
less.

Should you consider one of the casting processes, you will need to
determine a way to hold the pads in place. Sometimes a simple vacuum
lock caused when the pads are inserted after a release agent is applied
is enough. This will probably be one of the more difficult aspects to
resolve in your application.

Good luck. I hope this helps,

Carl Dekker
Met-l-flo Inc.