Re: [rp-ml] New machines could turn homes into small factories

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 07:20:52 EET

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, SiderWhite wrote:
> Thought everybody on the rp-ml would be interested in this. What
> does everybody think, how well will a self-replicating machine work?

I'm not buying stock yet. Nobody has ever built a self-replicating
machine out of anything, let alone one made purely out of an RP
material.

Anyway, isn't there a precision problem? If machine A can make parts
to tolerance .00x", and you build machine B out of parts made by A,
it's hard to see how the parts B makes can be better than 2 * .00x".
By the time you get to F, is it worth the trouble?

-Sheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                                          (831)429-8224
Sculpting geometry                                          bathsheba.com