Re: [rp-ml] New machines could turn homes into small factories (My 2 cents..)]

From: Brock (bhinzmann@sric-bi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 02:20:11 EET

I don't think the point here is whether you can design a machine that is
capable of making some of its own structural parts, such that those
structural parts are of sufficient strength and accuracy to make more such
parts of itself. The original article and some of Adrian's email responses,
if I read everything correctly, admit that all of the critical
high-accuracy components will need to be acquired. Adrian seems to be
suggesting only that you could have a robotic platform that incorporate's
some RP process able to make both structural and electrically conductive or
other functional parts. The simple answer to that should be, yes.

The real question is, why? What benefit is there? The answer to that, for
me, lies in robotics and artificial intelligence, where you would like to
have robots that can repair themselves, reconfigure themselves for a
variety of tasks, and even intelligently redesign themselves for
unpredicted tasks. Furthermore, if you have a community of similar robots
communicating with each other via the Internet, they could rapidly share
best practices. I see Adrian's idea as a potential platform for such
research. Is it pie in the sky for the average consumer? probably. But
there are more than a few people that are interested in trying to make it
work. If you follow the links on Adrian's Web pages to some of the others
interested in his work, I think you will find it very interesting to see
where they take you.

We already have robots that know when they need to recharge their batteries
and can find their own charging station. Is it really that far of a stretch
to suggest you can create a robot that is capable of operating an RP
machine? It wouldn't get nearly as bored waiting for its parts to come out
and wouldn't mind as much when it had to re-run a failed build.

Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator