Re: [rp-ml] New machines could turn homes into small factories (My 2 cents..)]

From: EdGrenda@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 18:27:13 EET

In a message dated 05-03-26 10:34:47 EST, A.Bowyer@bath.ac.uk writes:

<<
 I've had a look through the patents (particularly concentrating on patents
that
 cite the SIS patent, number 6589471) and I can't find this. Does anyone know
 if it's been done?

 If not I hereby, herewith, and hereafter (just to sprinkle a bit of
lawyer-speak
 about) give the idea away free; this puts it in the public domain, and it's
also
 on my project website; anyone can use it for whatever they like.

 Floreat emptor!

 Yours

 Adrian

 http://staff.bath.ac.uk/ensab

Hi Adrian:

Something very close has been done. Neil Hopkinson and Poonjolai
Erasenthiran at Loughborough Univ have used carbon-blacked nylon for an object material,
and white nylon powder for support in a technique they call High Speed
Sintering.

They envision selectively jetting the black stuff, or jetting an energy
aborber on the surface of the stack as you describe - among other implementations.
Already has a UK patent and I'm guesing a search would turn up additional
prior art.

See this page for the abstract of their SFF '04 paper:

http://home.att.net/~edgrenda2/sf04/sf04_31.htm

Regards,

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.
EdGrenda@aol.com (email)

The Worldwide Guide to Rapid Prototyping
http://home.att.net/~castleisland/