RE: [rp-ml] Materials for 3D Printer

From: Jonathan Harris (j.j.harris@bham.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 10:57:22 EEST

Some thoughts....

Polycaprolactone melts at around 60 deg C and is relatively tough - a bit
like nylon. Only drawback in my experience is that when molten (even using
indirect methods, e.g. immersing in hot water) it sticks like crazy to just
about anything. (People have tried RPing it before (Zein, Hutmacher, Tan
and Teoh, Fused deposition modeling of novel scaffold architectures for
tissue engineering applications, Biomaterials, Volume 23, Issue 4, 15
February 2002, Pages 1169-1185.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6TWB-44HSM83-T/2/ef9c2e7a48b0
5496fb1115ce0444ad0e
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6TWB-44HSM83-T/2/ef9c2e7a48b0
5496fb1115ce0444ad0e> )).

Something else that might be suitable, which I came across courtesy of
another list, is this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?Criteria=polymorph
<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?Criteria=polymorph&amp;doy=9m6>
&amp;doy=9m6

It melts at approx 60 deg and doesn't become adhesive when molten (though I
have only ever used it in conjunction with the manufacturers instructions).
I can't really comment on pricing as I don't know your definition of
expensive.

Regards,
Jonathan.

Biomaterials Unit