RE: [rp-ml] What type of adhesive is used in a Z-Corp Machine?

From: Charles Overy (cwho@lgmmodel.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 19:53:56 EEST

Scott.

>They said: "Cynoacrylate?" I said I thought a type of CA was used for
infiltrating, but not jetting out onto the material.

You are correct. There is a relatively thin solution that comes out of the
ink jet heads (standard HP or in the older models Cannon) What is in this
is a mystery to me except it is non toxic. It does contain some water, and
agents that control how fast it dries and how much it permeates into the
powder.

The parts are porous and you can make them stronger by infiltrating them
with CA, wax, epoxy, etc.

My take on describing the proeces is that the powder is selectively
solidified by the jetted binder. The newer powders are "plaster based" so I
assume it is a reaction that is started by the water in the binder.

I am sure you can talk to someone at Z Corp www.zcorp.com

Best

Charles Overy

LGM