Re: [rp-ml] Headed to South Carolina; 3D Systems is moving its HQ...

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric-bi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 20:39:16 EET

It is surprising to me a company would take the trouble to move all the
way across the country. However, South Carolina has been very agressive
over the past 20 years or more in recruiting manufacturing companies and
the expectation is that, in addition to the several automotive plants
that have gone into the South in the recent past, 5 or 6 more new plants
are expected to be put in, most likely in the Southeast and quite
possibly in South Carolina. That's probably far from certain and a bit
of a gamble, but South Carolina has been offering big financial
incentives to attract companies, it has made an effort to raise the
technical training in many of its schools, is an intersection for a
number of road transportation links, and has a major seaport in
Charleston. Rock Hill is also not far from the Research Triangle area in
North Carolina with its high-tech spinoff companies and maybe 2.5 hours
drive from Atlanta. Lots of recreation nearby. Maybe the CEO didn't like
the golf courses around Valencia/L.A.

Brock Hinzmann