Re: [rp-ml] Foot Scanner

From: steve (sjbaker1@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 21:41:15 EET

Bob Olsen wrote:
> We have a dentist in this area who has has success scanning faces then
> making SLA and LS models with:
>
> http://www.genextech.com/home.html (Model 500?)
>
> This camera will generate point cloud data, and then you would need to
> stitch the various scans together to create your model.

This technology is pretty simple - I've built reasonably accurate
face scanners using nothing more than Lego, a Camcorder, a laser
pointer and a suitable line-generating fresnel lens (which I bought
from eBay for $5)!

Extracting the point cloud from video footage is a relatively simple
matter providing the object doesn't have too many nasty concavities
or very shiney surfaces and providing you can do the data grab in
relative darkness.

The issue with babies is likely to be whether you can keep them
still enough for the 30 seconds or so it takes to do a decent
scan. There is a direct trade-off between the speed of the
scan and the density of the point cloud that results.