RE: [rp-ml] Where are the Universities?

From: Marshall Burns (ListMail@fabbers.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 00:20:27 EET

Okay, I'll jump back in on this note. Clemson, I believe has closed its RP
lab and Elaine has retired from Clemson.

Why should universities be interested in rapid prototyping? By and large,
students and benefactors are not interested in manufacturing. That's old
school. Who wants to make prototypes?

What we need is for a school to create a curriculum on FABRICATOR SCIENCE. I
once met the guy who created the first curriculum in computer science at
UCLA in the 1960s. That was groundbreaking at the time, and look at how it
has spread around the world! Imagine if people in those days had called
computers "rapid arithmetic" !! Who would have shown up for that?

I know some people on here are tired of hearing me harp on about
terminology, but I just remain astounded that we are sitting on the most
exciting field of technology on the planet (much more exciting than nanotech
because it's real today) and people still go around talking about
prototyping.

Barf.

To sign up students and benefactors, you have to paint a grand vision that
turns them on and gets them excited. We are in the 21st century, for
chrizakes.

  _____