Re: [rp-ml] Where are the Universities?

From: Anand Dwarkanath (adwarkanath@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 03:31:36 EET

Dear Al, Marshall, Adrian

  Over the past year or so I have been trying to fuel enthusiam within a local technical institute here to reinstate its RP lab and activities or atleast make a new start. Their machines have been lying idle for 4 years, out of the 5 years since they've been installed ...and a diploma course never took off.
  Budgeting and lack of appreciation of the use/significance of this technology seem to be the main factor in my opinion...A generous gesture on behalf of the equipment manufacturers to rejuvenate such distressed centers might have been a solution...but they really didn't seem all that interested...
  So while RP continues to flourish in some of the best manufacturing companies in the world, i continue to wonder how to help get the institute out of this situation...

  It might be worth pulling out Terry Wohlers article "Obstcales to RP's Growth" http://www.wohlersassociates.com/Oct01TCT.htm

  in this framework.

  Anand
  Lovat Tunnel

Al Hastbacka <chathamresearch@gmail.com> wrote:
    We get the feeling that the university interest in RP has really dwindled over the past several years. Is this observation unique to us, or has there been a major downsizing in RP efforts at the colleges and universities that others have also observed? ( e.g, Clemson used to be a major contributor to the list, but now it is difficult to discern any interest in RP at that school).

  REL

Yahoo! Photos