Re: [rp-ml] Where are the Universities?

From: <donalderich_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 19:26:08 EET

I'm new to this forum and want to comment on Clemson's rapid prototyping activities. I operate the Clemson Engineering Technologies Laboratory at Clemson University. (http://www.cetl.org). We are a contract research laboratory operated by the College of Engineering and Science. We have (I think) a fairly significant activity going in Rapid Component Fabrication (RCF) to support our research efforts. RCF involves Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Tooling. While we do not have a formal educational function within the University framework, we do provide many educational opportunities by involving students in our research projects. As far as RCF is concerned, we provide the students with the opportunity to learn and use SolidWorks and 3DS MAX for modeling, reverse engineering (Konica-Minolta Vivid 910) and rapid prototyping (Z-310). Products from these resouces are realized through use of our machine shop (CNC milling and turning), our research foundry, and a single-shot plastic injection molding machine that
was designed for us by a senior mechanical engineering design team. Our research projects focus on design, fabrication and evaluation of chemical and mechanical process systems, and provide real-world experience to the involved students. In addition to our government client, we also provide similar services to commercial clients, again involving students in engineering and task managment rolls.

All this to say that RP is not dead at Clemson, but it has been reincarnated in a very applied form, and in a manufacturing environment.

Don Erich