[rp-ml] First 3D Printer to Break $20,000 Price Barrier...

From: Liam MacGinley <rapiditup_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 00:09:48 EET

Hi all
  Following on from the news that the FDM machines have at last broken the $20K barrier, I was wondering if these new machines are going to get any cheaper to run. Speaking from my own experience at my University in Dublin, Ireland, we have a FDM machine which is used for student projects and some postgrad research. The initial outlay of the machine was high (€40K) some years ago, but the biggest surprise was the cost in spent cartridges, €10K a year would not be uncommon. This is a very high annual expense for any university.

  Maybe there is a new machine on the horizon that will have a truly cheap running cost?

  thanks
  Liam MacGinley
  Dublin
  Ireland