RE: [rp-ml] Cost of RP Model is too High for Home Applications

From: Deon De Beer <ddebeer_at_cut.ac.za>
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 12:09:14 EET

Jack

I am hesitant to answer before I have more information on the intended field of application, as we have had a lot of success in applying RP&M in what I would define as the "Home Market" from my perspective. This may well differ from what you have in mind.

Secondly, if one adopts a Rapid Manufacturing approach in the use of RP machines, costs come down considerably. We have dealt with a specific case, where the unit costs came down to approximately 10% (actually less than) the costs involved for 1 item. This obviously depends on size, orientation, etc.

Regards

Deon de Beer

Hoofdirekteur: Tegnologiebestuur
Sentrale Universiteit vir Tegnologie, Vrystaat
Chief Director: Technology Management
Central University of Technology, Free State

PBag X 20539,
Bloemfontein
9300
Suid Afrika / South Africa