[rp-ml] Rapid casting of aluminium

From: Ian Gibson <mpegi_at_nus.edu.sg>
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 06:07:27 EEST

Dear All

I've had an enquiry from someone interested in finding a suitable
method for casting of complex geometry aluminium parts. I wonder
whether rp-ml subscribers have any preferences or suggestions.

Some notes relating to this: -

- is the MCP Hek system suitable for complex geometry castings like
automotive cylinder heads?
- would it be better to use a sand-core system? If so, is there a
relatively clean way to do this in preference to going to a foundry?
- if using a sand-core system, is there a way of getting around
problems with CO2 reaction and removal of sodium silicate?

IG