[rp-ml] Looking for platform support of stl files

From: Chris Elliott <cl3ellio_at_interchange.ubc.ca>
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 00:15:35 EEST

Hi,

I'm new to the rp research field and I'm looking for a open-source
platform that will allow me to test and implement geometric algorithm on
meshes from .stl files. It seems that there are very robust geometry
packages such as CGAL out there that can work with polyhedral models
from .off or .wrl files, but I have not been able to find one that
supports .stl files. I do have access to HOOPS, and I am currently
trying to figure out if I can use its API. Has anyone tried using HOOPS
with .stl files? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,
Chris Elliott
M.A.Sc. Candidate
Department of Mechanical Engineering