RE: [rp-ml] Am I dreaming?

From: Charles Overy <cwho_at_lgmmodel.com>
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 00:44:21 EEST

>the way to go for forward thinking manufacturers

Remember though that these technologies are gaining considerable leverage
outside of the manufacturing environment.

In these newer markets it is still not clear to most what the definitions
are, and what they refer to. In my presentations I have made a conscious
effort to use consistent terminology: "Additive Fabrication" for the
overall class of technology, "3d printing" to discuss the use of relatively
low cost machines making models (in our case architectural models) for
visualization only, and "rapid modeling" to denmote the blended use of AF
and other technologies to provide physical maquettes in very reduced lead
times using 3d virtual data sets. I try to use Rapid Prototyping to refer
to the use of AF by industrial and mechanical design. My use of "3d
printing" as a generic to include AF technologies by several vendors is not
consistent with the historical use of that term to describe the technology
developed at MIT and licensed to various vendors including Z Corporation.
Here again, I have tried favor what makes sense to a new audience. Z
Corporation has never complained! Freeform Fabrication seems the only other
term that is somewhat appropriate for the architectural community. Probably
good for artistic endevours and only modestly bad for the general public...
Other thoughts?

Terminology is becoming increasingly relevant in new markets as we attempt
to clearly communicate product offerings, both service bureaus and
manufacturer

Charles

Charles Overy : Director of Engineering
 lgm :: architectural visualization