Re: [rp-ml] algorithm&implementation for STL slicing-SplineScan

From: Charles Overy <cwho_at_lgmmodel.com>
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 20:18:56 EEST

Sebastien, Markus

Thanks for doing the "google" for me! Oops. I had just never seen one
of these things but had seen various hacks and the parts etc.
The links do seem to indicate that, as one would expect, it is not
trivial to retrofit using the existing systems.

Re: Markus's email:Did you consider how the bearings and actuators of
your CNC machine feel if you let the table run full left - full right
half a million times?

Yes, that is why I assumed any practical approach would use a grid/array
or other way of sampling a relatively large area of the surface at a
time and would then merge those patches. I had assumed it would be a
Move, stop, scan, move, stop, scan type of approach so that the motion
of the mill could be reduced or eliminated. The scans would be aligned
using common features from overlapping mesh surfaces. From
Sebastien's links it appears that what most current applications do is
to use the mill to scan a stripe over the surface of the object in a
continuous fashion. It would appear that the weakness here is that the
scanner must control the mill fairly carefully.

Charles

Sebastien Bailard wrote:
> They are relatively common. From a quick search on "laser scanning head cnc
> mill":
> http://www.kreon3d.com/products_zephyr.php
> http://www.omnicmm.com/probing_equip.htm
> Many links:
> http://www.simple3d.com/#laserscanner
>
> -Sebastien
>
> On Friday 25 August 2006 13:51, you wrote:
>
>> I keep wondering why someone does not adapt a project like this to make
>> a non contact scanning head for CNC machines. Off the cuff it would
>> seem that you could create a hardware head that would sit in a collet
>> holder and software that would output generic G-code to scan an
>> arbitrary sized area. Is it more difficult to patch meshes where the
>> scanner is moving rather than the part?
>>
>> Charles
>>
>> Sebastien Bailard wrote:

>>> Do. If you need support, you'll have to get it through the splinescan
>>> mailing list. The lead developer's working on development, not
>>> documentation just now, but someone should answer. I have no idea when
>>> they're going to publish their next release.
>>>
>>> They've got some interesting tweaks in the pipeline - they're going to
>>> publish a hardware package that you can RP, so all you have to do is
>>> assemble it, bolt on a camera, laser pointer diode, cylindrical lens
>>> (glass rod), and you've got the scanning unit. For the turntable, just
>>> go scrounge a turntable and have your laser printer print out a paper
>>> encoding strip*, paste it on, and you're good to go. The camera/python
>>> code figures out where the turntable is by looking for the encoder strip.
>>> http://www.hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/
>>>
>>> I've been daydreaming that all you need is a sheet of paper printed with
>>> artoolkit tags and a camera, and you could put an object on the sheet,
>>> take loads of photos, and then dump them into gpl'ed code that figures
>>> out all the computational geometry and spits out your point
>>> cloud/simplical surface/.stl file. It would take some keen programming
>>> and computational geometry, but it would be so useful.
>>>
>>> If you happen to be interested in the computational geometry background
>>> for all this, look at "Surface Reconstruction from Unorganized Points" by
>>> H. Hoppe et.al. 903 citations, and fairly readable,