Re: [rp-ml] Colour STL files?

From: Todd Pederzani <tpederzani_at_protocam.com>
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 20:29:10 EET

steve wrote:
> Ignoring the many versions of the binary STL specification out there
As a side note, I see a lot or references to a July 1988 and October
1989 "Stereolithography Interface Specification", but I cannot find the
document anywhere on the Internet. I also can't find a valid
specification for SolidView's color STL format or Magic's format
(there's an RP-ML post about the latter, but the linked document is no
longer there).

I agree that there are interoperability issues at work here. The most
obvious one seems to be not publishing the specification. I'd expect
that if 3D Systems put up their spec, it would be ranked very well, so
programmers wouldn't take reverse engineerings of the format as gospel.

--
Todd Pederzani          tpederzani@protocam.com
ProtoCAM                System Administrator