Re: [rp-ml] Software to subtract solid from mesh

From: Cristina Kadar <cristina_kadar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 22:47:08 EET

Hi!

As a free/extremely cheap software for conversion between different 3D formats (.3ds, .stl, .wrl, .obj, .dxf and many others) I would recommend AccuTrans 3D:

 http://www.micromouse.ca/

Cristina

John McNeil <john@mcneilco.com> wrote: Dear All,

I have been playing with CosmicBlobs (http://www.cosmicblobs.com),
and its more serious sibling, CB Model Pro (http://
www.cbmodelpro.com). They both make nice, printable, models, and my 8
year daughter can use them easily. However, there is nothing precise,
square or dimensional about the resulting models. I want to take the
resulting STL output, and add and/or subtract solids made in a
regular modeling package to precise dimensions.

The problem I am having is that the packages I have tried (Turbo CAD
3D and Art of Illusion) have trouble converting the mesh to a solid
so I can boolean add or subtract. Usually, they just hang. I
understand there are programs (like Magics) designed just for workig
with meshes. Would these help me? What would you recommend that is
not too expensive (my printer already broke the bank :) )

Thanks,

John