Re: [rp-ml] STL files

From: steve <sjbaker1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Wed Nov 08 2006 - 01:26:36 EET

Wesley Brooks wrote:
> Is the binary format STL file any different in structure to it's
> readable counterpart?

It's essentially identical - but without all of those verbose
words - and with numbers represented in floating point binary.

> Are there still duplicate points?

Yep.

> Are normals still included?

Yep...although with the same useless comment that says that *some*
readers allow all-zero normals which they automatically recalculate
by assuming the ordering of the vertices implies the normal direction.

> I've written readers for the ASCII file format but
> since discovered open-source readers for the binary format so haven't
> had to learn the finer details of it.

Check out the Wikipedia article I wrote.

> Duplicate points can give problems with rounding errors,

Yep.