Re: [rp-ml] STL files

From: Todd Pederzani <tpederzani_at_protocam.com>
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 18:39:03 EET

steve wrote:
> Check out the Wikipedia article I wrote.
It sure would be nice to have the Oct. 1989 "Stereolithography Interface
Specification" as a reference in the article. Especially since the
article only talks about the data format, not the rules for the
geometry. Does anyone have a hard copy and mind faxing it to me? I'd
be happy to OCR it and reshare it. Well, as much as copyright allows.
Ideally, 3D Systems would have the STL specification on their web site
(there's a nice "white papers" section there already). How STL is an
"open format" as claimed by the 3D Lighyear help mystifies me. I've
inquired a bit with my contacts at 3D about an electronic copy of the
spec and its absence from the website, but I haven't seen any traction.
Does anyone else have any more pull?

Ditto goes for the 1994 "SLC file specification" which they also
released. (That is captured in the rp-ml archives, I believe.)

--
Todd Pederzani          tpederzani@protocam.com
ProtoCAM                System Administrator