RE: [rp-ml] SLA Resin for Rapid Tooling

From: Brett Lyons (lyonsb@umich.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 18:43:15 EET

Hi,

I use ZCorp's material for tooling applications (vacuum bag composite
molding, green sand casting, some thermal spray work etc) and really
like it, but I would be surprised if you could get more than one shot
from such a tool in an injection molding context. If thats what you
have to use maybe could do infiltrate under vacuum with a high temp,
filled resin (but then you might find distortion issues during cure).
But hey, its cheap and fast enough to experiment with...

On a similar note, I sent a plaster-epoxy core box to a green sand
foundry, assuming they would do an air or chem set core in it, but they
tried to make a blown core with it. They got one blown core nicely,
then the box exploded on the second shot (IIRC the core was blown at
2bar and the preheat was something like 200f). You could always make a
positive and pour a tooling resing over it though...

Cheers
-Brett

Brett Lyons
Senior Research Technician, UM3D Lab
Graduate Student, Mechanical Engineering
FSAE, SAE, SME, AFS