Re: [rp-ml] Fab@Home

From: Adrian Bowyer (A.Bowyer@bath.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 15:09:11 EET

Ian Gibson wrote:

> Interesting comments about the time frame. Really my point was that I
> don't think extrusion will make it in the long term and I'm surprised
> that people are focusing their efforts on this horse when we already
> have quite good droplet deposition systems.

I absolutely agree that droplet systems are technically better. But it's _much_
easier to get an extrusion system to make its own parts. That's not so
significant for Fab@Home, but for RepRap it's very important: replication is
everything.

I don't care how clanky the RepRap technology is as long as it can replicate
successfully. Think of all those fabulously complex and interesting
non-replicating molecules that there must have been in the primordial soup.
Then along came the first replicator and they were all toast...

Yours

Adrian

http://staff.bath.ac.uk/ensab
http://reprap.org