RE: [rp-ml] Investment casting

From: John Eric Voltin (jevoltin@agile-technology.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 01:34:16 EET

My understanding is that CastForm for SLS burns out very well - almost
identical to casting pattern wax. I have seen it used to cast steels,
aluminum, titanium, and some exotic aerospace alloys. There is a spec
sheet from 3D Systems at the following link?

http://www.3dsystems.com/products/datafiles/lasersintering/datasheets/CastForm-PS-material-A4_UK.pdf

 - John

> Hi Bill, If the parts are small and don't contain undercuts etc. Then
> two-sided machining in wax, of a bunch of parts at a time should be the
> most
> economical and give the best burnout results.
>
> Solidscape machines produce very detailed parts, with excellent burnout,
> but
> the parts will work out relatively expensive.
> As far as I know, all other machines/resins leave varying degrees of ash,
> and/or require special burnout procedures.
> Does anyone else know of a clean burn-out printer?
>
> Bernard Bryce,
> Precisioncast Ltd.
> Pollinore, Corofin,
> Galway, Ireland