Re: [rp-ml] New RP Device

From: G. Sachs (sachsg@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 23:27:40 EET

Robert-

Thanks for the post. The first thing I noticed was that the website isn't exactly impressive. Also the few parts that were shown on the site were, to me, quite frankly kind of 'crappy' (something like 1980's quality). Also they didn't show any examples of really complicated parts (say a 'braingear', though admittedly it's just a show-off piece). Isn't this basically like the much more expensive earlier Kira? machines with the exception of how they do their bonding? We are still taking about laminated paper parts that have no better resolution (z-axis wise) than the old LOM machines had and the price doesn't seem to be all that cheap. What about build speed and stability of parts made? And I'd be surprised if they used lasers in this for safety reasons, but if they use blades those wear out pretty quickly, so maybe they use something else.

In the case of the examples shown, I think I could do a lot better in terms of speed and quality with just good old CNC. No, I don't think this will prove to be a breakthrough in low cost RP technology, unless the cost comes down a lot and this method could prove to be 5-10 years too late now. I'd be kind of surprised if they manage to sell a lot of these units, but it will be interesting to see how they fair in the lower end market. If they can do color, that might help a lot. Unless new machines address most, if not all, of the deficiencies and cost issues that users have raised over the last two decades, I don't think any of them will represent a major advance, much less breakthrough, in RP. Just my two cents worth on this.

G. Sachs
Paradyme Systems