RE: [rp-ml] Watch Cases

From: Bernard Bryce <bernard_at_precisioncast.ie>
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 05:15:13 EEST

Hi Lloyd,

I have a solidscape machine here, and about two years ago I had a go at
designing a silver watch for myself as a novelty..... drew it up in CAD,
printed it on the 0.0254 build on the solidscape machine, and then got it
cast... Unfortunately that's the easy bit! Finding most of the watch parts
was also no problem. There are loads of suppliers. There are even companies
who supply dials, ready printed with your design etc..

I think Ricardo is right, you will need to machine the Glass seat, and the
threads for a screw in back (if that's what you choose), and you will
probably have to drill/machine out the winder hole.

If you are just making one watch , and you don't have a lathe, it would be
possible to make up a hand tool to carefully 'ream out' the glass seat. I
was planning a similar approach to ream out the back to take a press in
back.

I didn't have too much trouble polishing up the outer case after it was
cast as it was built on a fine build on the solidscape machine, and
properly cast . I drilled the spring bar holes manually.

Believe it or not, the biggest problem I hit was finding stainless steel
watch case backs!.

As far as I know there is no such thing as an assortment of watch backs or
even standard sizes.... which effectively means you have to have one
specially machined, or.... use whatever you get your hands on, and design
the watch around it!!

I would be interested to see how you get on.

Bernard Bryce