Re: [rp-ml] Automated Parting Software

From: Todd Pederzani <tpederzani_at_protocam.com>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 15:24:46 EEST

John Eric Voltin wrote:
> There are tools used in conjunction with CAD programs (such as SolidWorks,
> Pro/Engineer, etc.) that aid in mold design. I don't know if they will
> completely automate the creation of parting lines, but they do make the
> process go a faster than doing it by hand. I suspect all of them require
> some user input to guide the placement of the parting lines.

SolidWorks has some nice modules that we've used on occasion. The
parting line and determination of parting surfaces needs to be done by
hand. Fills and vents also need to be added manually. But for the
geometries I've dealt with, it has been an efficient use of my time. I
love Magics, but if you already pay for a CAD package with such mold
tools, it check them out first.

--
Todd Pederzani          tpederzani@protocam.com
ProtoCAM                Information Technology